Frequently Asked Questions-Fall 2022

Getting Started with Orientation

How will I know that Online Orientation is available?

Orientation consists of three parts, an online Pre-Orientation component, an On-Campus component, and an online Post-Orientation component.  Students must complete all three components to fulfill UConn’s Orientation requirement.

Starting Mid-April new students accepted to the Waterbury campus who paid the $400 enrollment deposit will receive an email invitation sent to their personal email address telling them to begin their Pre-Orientation tasks which will be accessed through the online Orientation module.  A link to the Waterbury Orientation module will be in this email.

The email must be received in order to access the Online Orientation module.


Where will I find online Orientation?

There will be a link in the email that you will receive which will take you into the Online Orientation module.  You will log into the Online Orientation reservation system by using your NetID and password, review and complete some academic and personal information, and then start Online Orientation.

I am having trouble accessing or completing my on-line orientation modules and/or task list items, what can i do?

If you are having difficulty accessing the on-line orientation platform, try using a different browser or device.  You can also contact with your concerns or issues.  Please include a phone number and email address at which we can reach you.

The invitation was sent to an email address that I no longer use. How can I update this?

The invitation email is sent to the personal email address that the student provided when they applied and the student’s UConn email address.  If your personal email address is a high school or previous college email we recommend that you change it before that address gets inactivated by your previous school.

If you would like to change the personal email address that the University has on file, you must officially do so through the Student Administration system.

Directions on how to officially update the personal email address that the University has on file can be found here.

Is Orientation Mandatory? What happens if I do not complete Orientation?

All first-time degree-seeking students attending all campuses of the University of Connecticut must complete Orientation in order to attend the University in the fall.  Students who choose not to complete Orientation will have their admission to the university cancelled.  The deadline to complete the online tasks and register for in-person Orientation session is July 1, 2022.

UConn's Orientation program is the very best start that a new student can experience to acclimate  to the university which is why UConn's administration made Orientation mandatory many years ago.  Orientation whether on-campus or online, includes specific content that the university administration mandates for all new students.  It does not matter if the student is a First-Year student transitioning from high school or a Transfer student transitioning from another college.  No matter what the student's experience has been, UConn is a new place for each student as they enter as a new member of the community. UConn has different policies, deadlines, support services, conduct code, expectations, diversity and academic opportunities as compared to the new student's previous educational institution..
Many universities around the nation have made Orientation mandatory. This is not novel to UConn.
Online Orientation is mandatory for all first-time degree seeking students if they wish to register for classes at the University of Connecticut.  An  "Orientation hold" is placed on all undergraduate new student accounts so they cannot register for classes until they complete the pre-Orientation online tasks and attend the in person Orientation session.  An academic advisor will remove the Orientation hold when they meet during the advising portion of the in person Orientation session.


Can you explain how Online Orientation and class registration work?

Students need to first complete tasks and view presentations in the Online Orientation module.  After they complete the required tasks in the module they will be able to register to attend an in-person Orientation session.  At this session, they will meet with an academic advisor and register for classes.

It is recommended that students complete the requires tasks within the online pre- Orientation immediately after they get access to the online module so they can register to attend an in-person session early in the Orientation cycle in order to get the classes they need.






Do I have to complete Online Pre- Orientation all at once?

No.  The system will remember where you left off.  However, these tasks must be completed before you will have the opportunity to register to attend an in-person Orientation session.  Registration for fall courses will take place at the in-person Orientation session.

What is the charge for Online Orientation?

There is no charge for the undergraduate Online Orientation program for new UConn students because the Orientation fee is now contained in the $400 enrollment deposit.

Orientation Advising/Registration

The registration system will not let me register for classes as I have an “Orientation Hold” on my Student Administration account? How do I get that removed?

All first-time degree seeking undergraduate students have "Orientation Holds" put on their accounts so they cannot register for classes until they meet with an academic advisor.  Academic advisors want to ensure that new students are registering for the correct classes to fulfill their degree program and graduate in a timely manner.  Orientation Holds will not be removed until a student meets with an advisor to register for classes.   It will be a Waterbury campus academic advisor who removes the "Orientation Hold."

I’m thinking about changing my major. How will this impact my Online Orientation and meeting with an academic advisor to register for classes?

If you are considering changing your major you need to submit your request to the Admissions department through your Admissions Applicant Portal two weeks BEFORE attending your in person Orientation session.  The reason for this is because all requests for major or school/college changes must be reviewed by the Admissions department to see if the change is possible.  Some change requests may not be possible due to majors or schools that have restricted enrollments, or higher entry level standards.  Changing your major before you attend your Orientation session will ensure that you get the most out of your advising and class registration experience.

As stated above a request to change your major should be submitted through your Admissions Applicant Portal at least 2 weeks prior to attending your in person Orientation session, because majors cannot be changed during the in person Orientation session when you will meet with an academic advisor.

TO SUBMIT A MAJOR CHANGE REQUEST: If you wish to request a major change, please visit your Admissions Applicant Portal and complete the “Admissions Decision Appeal & Change Request” form. Your Admissions Applicant Portal will reflect the most updated information once your request is reviewed.

Please note that Admissions does not take major change requests by email.  Students must go into their Admissions Applicant Portal to file a major change request.


What happens if I change my major after I complete online Orientation?

 The Waterbury Orientation Office will be notified if a student changes their school or college after completing Orientation.  There will be additional pre-advising content on their new school/college that they will have to view. Their new school/college will direct them to this content which may not be in the online Orientation module.  


Why do I have to meet with an Academic Advisor in order to register for classes. I did not have to do that at my last college?

At the University of Connecticut new students need to meet with an academic advisor who will make sure they take the appropriate courses that lead to their degree to insure a timely graduation.  Advisors also make sure students took all the appropriate placement tests, and have completed other tasks so their transition to the university is a smooth one.  Academic Advisors are professional counselors who help students select courses that can narrow down their major choice if they are not sure what to major in.  Advisors can also spot students having difficulty and can recommend student support staff who can help.  Academic advisors are professional staff members who are experienced and very well trained to guide new and continuing students toward their academic degree.

Can I change my Orientation session?

Students can not reschedule an Orientation session on their own.    

  • RESCHEDULING A CONFIRMED ORIENTATION SESSION 7 OR LESS DAYS BEFORE THE SESSION: Students need to send the Waterbury Orientation Office an email with their Full Name, NetID and the reason why they need to reschedule along with 3 choices of session dates that the student will be available.  The Waterbury Orientation office staff will reschedule the student if one of their requests is available.  NOTE:  The Waterbury Orientation Office will take requests only from the student.
  • RESCHEDULING AN ORIENTATION SESSION A SECOND TIME: If a student needs to reschedule their session a second time, the student will be rescheduled by the Waterbury Orientation Office for a session that will occur later in the summer.
  • MISSING AN ORIENTATION SESSION: If you miss your Orientation session you will need to contact the Waterbury Orientation Office to reschedule your session. Your session will be rescheduled by the Waterbury Orientation office for a session that will occur later in the summer.  It would be to your advantage not to miss your Orientation session.

Can my parents help me register for classes?

Advising/Registration at the University of Connecticut is between the student and advisor only whether it is done during the online or on-campus Orientation programs.  The student/advisor relationship is an important one at the university. Students need to begin this dialogue by themselves early during Orientation.  Parents/guardians, siblings or friends should not be at your advising/registration meeting.  The meeting is with you and your advisor only.

Are there any placement tests required?

There are three placement tests that new students may need to take.  Two tests are based on their academic major: The Math Placement Exam (MPE), the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE).  The English Guided Placement Survey determined readiness for placement in first year English and needs to be taken by most students.

All new students should review the Course Placement website at least 7 business days before their scheduled Orientation Advising/Registration session to learn more about UConn’s placement process.  If a student needs to take the Math Placement Exam (MPE) based on their major and does not take it prior to meeting with their academic advisor, the student will not be able to register for Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1 or Calculus 2 during that advising/registration session(that is, if the student’s major requires any of these Math courses during the first semester.) 

Please read the Math Placement Exam (MPE) website to see if your major requires that you take it.  The Chemistry Placement Exam is recommended for placement in the appropriate chemistry course if a student’s major requires Chemistry.   If your major is on the list of majors on the Math Placement Exam (MPE)  or Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE) webpage you need to take the exam before your advisor meeting.

Research done by the university indicates that students who take the Math and Chemistry Placement Exams are placed in the appropriate Math and Chemistry courses for their ability.  Answer the questions honestly so you are placed in the appropriate courses and have a successful first semester at the university.  There's nothing worse than being placed in a course that is above your Math or Chemistry ability which results in a difficult first semester.



When do I have to complete the Placement Exams by ?

In general you should complete any placement exams (English, Math or Chemistry) at least a week before you meet with an academic advisor to register for classes.  The reason for this is because you have 3 chances to take the Math and Chemistry placement exams in case you are not happy with the score you earned on the first try.   If you would like to improve your score review the Learning Modules in the exam site to brush up on some Math or Chemistry content.  Then retake the exam.

If you wait until the very last minute and take an exam, like some new students do, you may not get the opportunity to take it again to possibly raise your score before you meet with an academic advisor to register for classes.

The most important thing when taking the exam(s) is to answer each question as honestly as you can to be placed in the course appropriate for your ability.  There's nothing worse than being placed in a course that is higher than your Math or Chemistry ability causing you to have a rough first semester and possibly fail.  College is very different than high school in course difficulty.

UConn has done research on both the Math and Chemistry Placement Exams and found they place the student in the appropriate course for their Math or Chemistry ability.



As a Transfer student…when can I review my transfer credit evaluation?

Transfer credit evaluations  are available for students to review upon admission to the University.  Earned transfer credits will be posted on a rolling basis in the Student Administration System for new transfer students before their scheduled orientation session.

I am a transfer student and I need to register for classes now in order to get the classes I need.

At all campuses of the University of Connecticut new students register for classes after they complete Online Orientation and not before.  It is the same  if the program was on-campus.  There are no exceptions to this.  There are many students who would like to register for classes early, before everyone else, in order to get specific classes.  This is not fair to the over 5000 incoming students that we have at Storrs and the regional campuses.  After students complete Online Orientation, they will meet with an academic advisor.  Their advisor will help them register for classes based on the major and degree they are seeking.  We know that meeting with an advisor may be a new experience for some students who have been to college before, but this is standard practice at the university for new students.  It insures that they register for classes that lead to their degree.  It is important for new students to be flexible in their class choices for their first semester.

Will my AP or previous college/university coursework count towards my UConn degree?

AP and Transfer Guidelines are available on the Transfer Admissions website. If you have completed college course work, make sure to have an official transcript, reflecting courses completed and grades earned, sent directly from your college to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Storrs.


What is my NetID?

How can I activate my NetID? A NetID is a network identifier that UConn issues to allow access to certain computing services. These computing services include Student Administration, HuskyCT, etc. NetIDs are created for prospective students, applicants and incoming matriculated students; notification is sent to the personal email address that is on file with the University with information about their NetIDs and how to activate them. If you are unsure of your NetID, need to activate your NetID or change your password for your NetID, please visit for assistance with these concerns.

How can I access my UConn email?

A new student’s UConn email account is not created until matriculation occurs which is in Mid-May for students starting classes in the fall.  Until your UConn email account is created all email will be sent to your personal email address which is the one you put on your admissions application.


Additional Information

Can I refer back to this information in the modules after I have completed Online Orientation?

Yes you can. We hope you continue using the online Orientation information as a resource during the summer.

What should I do if I need disability accommodations during Orientation?

Please contact the UConn Waterbury Center for Students with Disabilities at  at least 12 business days prior to your scheduled Orientation session. 

Where do I park on the day of my in person Orientation session?

Who can I contact with additional questions?

You can contact the WTBY Orientation office by email at